Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Hands That Save Us

#BecauseHeLives
He Is Here! With Us, Always!
So my time in the mission is winding down fast (return home date is TBA next week.) I can’t believe how fast my mission has gone. It is crazy how time flies. Anyway I have new son (training a new missionary companion from the CCM de Guatemala.) He name is Elder Mendoza and he is from the Dominican Republic. I’m excited to train again, this truly is a blessing.  
Elder Mendoza And Elder Mac
This week was a hard one because it was semana santa (Easter week) and everyone goes out of town. Even though it was hard, it was great since it was General Conference. I love Conference. But I have to say it truly hurt to see that there were members who didn’t sustain the Prophet and Apostles and opposed vocally their disapproval. I just don’t understand how anyone could do that. Which brings me to a very interesting experience we had on Friday night. Elder Mendoza and I went to visit a family and as we talked with them we were able to develop a good relationship of trust. We learned that the Dad and Mom do not believe in living prophets. They told us their apostle is on TV and they wanted to show us. So we watched and it was the most uncomfortable feeling. You could see the power of Satan working through this man as he was preaching. He didn’t even teach anything pertaining to the commandments of God. Actually he didn’t know what he was saying, there was much confusion with his words and it was hard to follow. I was heartbroken. I’m so grateful I have a testimony of a living Prophet and Apostles. That knowledge and testimony brought so much comfort when I listening to this man preach. As I listened I tried to put myself in the shoes of investigators, even in the shoes of young Joseph Smith. I could see why Joseph and many others were so confused. I could not believe what this man was saying. I gained a new reverence and respect for young Joseph Smith. He knew and felt the confusion of so many claiming they had the truth. I’m grateful beyond what words could express that he was brave and asked God (James 1:5) knowing he would receive an answer to find the truth. His prayer opened the windows of heaven and we are the recipients of what happened next.
Yep, That's One Big Turkey
Gobble On

I want to talk about two talks from General Conference, yes one is from Elder Holland and the other one is from Brother Gibson. I have a huge decision to make and as I sat there listening to Brother Gibson, his words told me I was asking the wrong questions. He shared a story about his sons, they completed a 50/20, walking 50 miles in under 20 hours. As he was checking on his sons to see if they were ok, his eldest son said this to him “That was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life, and I will never, ever do it again — unless my son wants me to do it.” As I thought about that I realized as I was making my decision I needed to think about my family, even more my personal family (the one I will one day have). This reminded me of what Elder Holland said in his talk ‘The Miracle of a Mission’, “Plan right now for the stories you will tell your children about your mission. Live right now in every way to look them in the eye and put them on your knee and rock them on your lap and tell them as I am telling you, that you loved every day of your mission. That you worked your head off! That you’ve never worked so hard in your life. That you were tired and sweaty and dirty and hungry and you knew how Paul felt and you knew how Peter felt and you knew how Mormon felt and you knew how Moroni felt. And I promise you that your children will remember and never forget it, and they will cherish it and hold it dear for their mission and so the generations go.” His words were also a reminder to every missionary and I’m so grateful we have been taught this: WE CAN NOT GO BACK TO WHO WE WERE BEFORE THE MISSION, you will break the heart of God himself, if you turn your back on the gospel of Jesus Christ, which you have pledged your life to teach. I just love that because we have committed to be Disciples of Christ for time and eternity. It does not mean we are perfect but we just need to try to better every day.
Elder Mac And Elder Corbett; Waiting For Our "Sons"
I want to end with Elder Holland’s talk for General Conference and about those hands that save us. He shared a story of two brothers; John, 19, and Jimmy, 14, who began a climb up a sheer canyon wall in southern Utah's Snow Canyon State Park without any climbing gear. At one point near the top of the climb, they reached a ledge that they couldn’t climb up or go back down. John managed to help his little brother up to safety, but he remained stuck. In a last-ditch effort, he made a vertical jump, knowing that if he missed, he would not survive the fall. He jumped and his hands slapped down on loose sand on a flat stone. John said his last prayer, he felt his fingers begin to recede slowly and knew his life was over. John said, “But then suddenly, like a lightning strike in a summer storm, two hands shot out from somewhere above the edge of the cliff, grabbing my wrists with a strength and determination that belied their size.” His brother caught him and pulled him up to safety. I love that story because that is how we are at times; stuck or are fingers begin to recede knowing we can’t hang on, but then our Brother, our Savior stretches forth His hands at the last minute to save us. He will never let go of us, never. His hands were pierced by nails and the blood He shed was for us. Those are not the hands that hold us, the hands that hold us are new hands, the resurrected hands of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Remember that the Savior loves us, and so does our Father in Heaven. Remember when you are falling, y talvez ud esta cayendo and you let go of the Savior, He will never let go of you. I pray that we may never let go of the one that prayed, bleed, was bruised, was rejected, was crucified, and rose again from the dead for us so He could hold us and have us come back to His presence and His Father’s presence. I bear witness to all that He Lives y nos ama.
We Are Never Lost Never Lost When You Can See The Temple
#BecauseHeLives We Can Find Peace
What I love about Mom is that she did the days of Easter for me, what I love about Dad is that he always told us its 10 or 2, it’s time for conference.

Con Mucho Amor, Ducks Forever
Elder Mcilmoil
April 6, 2015
Guardians Of His Work
Scripture of the week: Luke 24:5-6

HE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“I will never, ever do it again — unless my son wants me to do.” Larry M. Gibson 

“Today is Easter Sunday. This is the most sacred day of the year for special remembrance of brotherly hands and determined arms that reached into the very abyss of death to save us from our fallings and our failings, from our sorrows and from our sins.” Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Holy Cotton Candy
Duck, Duck, Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment