Thursday, February 6, 2014

Transfers And Experiences From My Last Week In Chichicastenango

Saying Goodbye
Tomorrow I'm being transferred. So this past week was my last week in Chichicastenango. Chichi has been home for me. It truly feels like home. I am going to miss Chichi so much. The people here have become my family, they have welcomed me into their homes and they have touched my heart. The only comfort I have is that I am going where the Lord wants me to go. I am on the Lord's errand and I will go and do what he commands me to do. This week was a very good week. Chichi has another baptism date for the end of this month. We have two people who want to change their life. They have said many times they hate their lives and want to change it. Both of them drink. They say they feel somewhat at peace when they drink but after they say it is horrible feeling. That is how Lucifer works. Elder Ballard put is best, "Lucifer is a clever and cunning intelligence. One of the main methods he uses against us is his ability to lie and deceive to convince us that evil is good and good is evil. Satan knows how to exploit and ensnare us with artificial substances and behaviors of temporary pleasure." It is all just temporary, no everlasting peace or happiness. To all of you keep yourselves clean and don't take that first drink of alcohol or experiment with drugs. It is a path that will bring you heartache and sorrow. You wouldn't believe what I have seen concerning alcohol and drugs. I have seen husbands and wives literally screaming at each other because one is completely wasted and I have also seen drunks just bawling in the street because they have lost everything that matters. It breaks my heart seeing these people suffer like this. Most of them want to change but they can't because they are bound to the chains of addiction and as they say it is to hard to free themselves. We try to share with them their is hope to escape from the bondage of addiction and that is through the pure love of Christ, the Atonement. May we all have the desire and courage to be clean. And in the words of Elder Ballard, "May we have the wisdom and spiritual insight to discern and refuse his many dangerous offerings."
Willing To Teach Anyone
This week I have been thinking a lot about the Second Coming of Christ. It seems like every time we talked with a member this week the Second Coming was brought up. I know the world is being prepared for the Second Coming of the Savior because of the great number of missionaries who have heeded to call to serve. It truly is sacred opportunity to bring others to Christ and help them prepare for the Second Coming of the Savior as we teach “no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come … , only in and through the name of Christ.” (Mosiah 3:17) The spirit is always so strong when talk about that glorious day. I honestly want to be here on the earth when Christ comes again so I can bath his feet with my tears and express my love and gratitude to Him who sacrificed everything for me. I give thanks everyday for that tender mercy. Every time I think about the Second Coming I get so excited and receive another confirmation that Jesus is the Christ and that every knee will bow and every tongue will confess He is the Christ.
Hitchin' A Ride
We were teaching an investigator, Silvia and she asked us about other churches and what the difference is between the Mormon church and all the churches. We explained to her the difference. Then she told us the the Jehovah's Witness were visiting her and she said she was confused about what church is true. Me and Elder Navarro both shared our testimonies. I felt that we needed her to pray and ask for herself if the message we were teaching her that this is the only true church on the earth today is the truth. So I asked her to pray and we had her pray right there. She asked God the Eternal Father if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. After she prayed we asked how she felt; she said she felt good and we explained to her that is the Holy Ghost telling the church is true. I'm so grateful for the power of the Holy Ghost, it is through the spirit truth is revealed. There is nothing sweeter than seeing an investigator receive an answer to prayer.
Headed Home For The Night
I took President Monson's advice and planned my life with a purpose. I sat down and wrote down goals I would like to accomplish and what I wanted to do in my life. I was very specific and it truly has helped. I'm not as distracted as I used to be. It has been amazing. I will share that my goals will always provide missionary opportunities, chances to defend the faith and a path that points straight to the kingdom of God. I encourage all of you to sit down and plan your life. No matter where you are in your life so you can see how much you have changed and what the Lord has shaped you into. 
Need Of The Day
This week I have experienced the power of prayer. Me and Elder Navarro sat down the other day and picked six names of old investigators. We the went into separate rooms and prayed about three names each. We shared what names we felt impressed were now ready to be taught again. We felt that we needed to pick two specific names. We did and one of those two names has an appointment tomorrow and Elder Navarro will go and visit the other name later this week. Prayer provides inspiration. We just have to believe.
For You Mom
Yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday. I woke up and called one of the Elders in Cunen and invited him to our 'Super Bowl Party,' we both laughed. Later on he called me and said, "Three hours till kick-off." I sent him a text an hour before kick-off and then I called him at 4:15 and somewhat sang the national anthem. We texted back and forth a couple of times like we were watching the game giving pretend scores and dang that was sweet play. It was so funny. Better than the real thing. 
Yesterday was my last testimony meeting in Chichi and I shared my testimony for the final time in the branch. I would like to end my final letter from Chichi with my testimony, I know Jesus Christ lives. I know He is my Savior and Redeemer. I know that God, our Eternal Father lives. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. I testify Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His beloved Son, Jesus Christ. I know that the Book Of Mormon is true and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the only true church on the face of the earth. I know that all the church leaders have been and are called by God. And I know families are forever. In the sacred name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
What I love about Mom is that she is still a Broncos fan and is trying to have missionary experiences. What I love about Dad is that he invited Mom to mission prep and for his example which he still continues to set for me. 

Ducks Forever Love,
Elder Mcilmoil
February 3, 2014

Tortilla count for the week: 35

Scriptures of the week: 1 Nephi 3:7 (We need to always have Nephi's attitude) and
2 Nephi 2:8 

So Mom, What Happened To Your Almighty Broncos?

No comments:

Post a Comment