Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tile Floors, The Sacrament And Elder Holland

Chichi
It Could Be Worse
This week we had divisions and it was sweet except when we went to meet up in the area where are comps were at (Cunen, 2 1/2 hours from Chichi); the buses had stopped running and Elder Navarro and I couldn't return to Chichi. So we slept in Cunen in the church on a tile floor. The elders in Cunen live in the church. It is crazy and sweet. It is in Cunen where I heard one of Elder Holland's greatest talks. http://www.lds.org/ensign/2001/03/missionary-work-and-the-atonement?lang=eng
Good Morning Cunen!
Before I share my experience with his talk I want to tell you about Sunday. We had an investigator come to church! And we finally have a date for baptism that I feel way good about. She is very positive and has a twin. Both of them are legit. We are going to challenge the other twin tomorrow. (Their names are Alicia and Silvia.) I gave a talk on Sunday and the subject was on sacred things. I focused on the Sacrament. As I prepared this talk I learned that if we repent sincerely we will feel our burdens lifted and we can feel clean and pure after partaking of the Sacrament. As I partook of the Sacrament on Sunday I truly felt what I had been learning. It was amazing. The Sacrament had a renewed meaning. I realized I had been taking for granted the blessing it is to partake of the Sacrament. The Sacrament is so very important and can provide a sacred moment for us as partake of it with reverence and not as routine. Elder L. Tom Perry said, "The Sacrament is one of the most sacred ordinances in the Church. Partaking of the Sacrament worthily gives us an opportunity for spiritual growth. May we more fully realize the special blessing of being able to partake of the Sacrament and its significance in our lives. May we always remember Him and keep His commandments, which He has given us to fulfill the purpose of life and the hope of the eternities that are to come." I received a tender mercy as I got to pass the Sacrament on Sunday. Passing on Sunday was one of the greatest experiences in my life. The spirit was so strong. As I was passing I couldn't help but think of the deacons back home passing the Sacrament in our ward. I truly do miss those days of passing the Sacrament as a deacon. I wish I could go back and teach myself what a privilege and blessing it was to pass as a representative of Lord. I truly took those Sundays for granted. So to my deacons in the 3rd ward you guys are the best. The Sacrament couldn't take place without you. Once a deacon always a deacon. Be proud of being a deacon. That priesthood responsibility is so very special and sacred. Be proud of what you do. And always remember each Sunday as you pass the Sacrament you carry the emblems of Christ.


I want focus more on what I learned this week by reading and listening to Elder Holland's talk. These words in his talk are beyond true. Elder Holland said, "I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are The Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him? It seems to me that missionaries and mission leaders have to spend at least a few moments in Gethsemane. Missionaries and mission leaders have to take at least a step or two toward the summit of Calvary." Those words have extraordinary meaning. Salvation is not cheap. It isn't enough to firmly believe, salvation requires effort, something of the soul and as Elder Holland says to understand you must, "spend at least a few moments in Gethsemane and have to take at least a step or two toward the summit of Calvary." Without those experiences we wouldn't learn, we wouldn't come unto Christ! Elder Holland continues by saying, "Now, please don’t misunderstand. I’m not talking about anything anywhere near what Christ experienced. That would be presumptuous and sacrilegious. But I believe that missionaries and investigators, to come to the truth, to come to salvation, to know something of this price that has been paid, will have to pay a token of that same price. If He could come forward in the night, kneel down, fall on His face, bleed from every pore, and cry, Abba, Father (Papa), if this cup can pass, let it pass, then little wonder that salvation is not a whimsical or easy thing for us. If you wonder if there isn’t an easier way, you should remember you are not the first one to ask that. Someone a lot greater and a lot grander asked a long time ago if there wasn’t an easier way. When you struggle, when you are rejected, when you are spit upon and cast out and made a hiss and a byword, you are standing with the best life this world has ever known, the only pure and perfect life ever lived. You have reason to stand tall and be grateful that the Living Son of the Living God knows all about your sorrows and afflictions. The only way to salvation is through Gethsemane and on to Calvary. The only way to eternity is through Him—the Way, the Truth, and the Life." We need to remember today’s trial is tomorrow’s testimony. Heavenly Father is more interested in our growth than our comfort. Then why should our life be easy when our Savior's life was not easy. When you get tired, frustrated, mad or what ever feeling you have that is not from God say to yourself these motivating words, REMEMBER HIM. The Savior's example gives me and has given me courage to press on. He served so unselfishly with unconditional and so can we. When times get hard point all your feelings toward the Atonement. The Atonement will carry you and your families as it has carried me and my family. The Atonement continues to carry me everyday on my mission. Joseph Smith said these words about Atonement, "all things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to the Atonement of Jesus Christ." Everything points back to the atonement. Our message is simple as spoken by the Jesus Christ himself, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6) Trust in God everybody and good things will always come. Families Are Forever. I love all of you so very much.
Loving Some Hammock Time
What I love about Mom is that she made me breakfast everyday. What I love about Dad is that he would help change bike tires.
Better Than The Tile Floor
Ducks Forever-Love,
Elder Mcilmoil
January 27, 2014

Tortilla count for the week: 30

Scripture of the week: Doctrine and Covenants 21:9
"6 Months"
"6 Months Gone"
P-Day Zipline Adventure
Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment