Thursday, February 13, 2014

New Area, New Companion And Choose The Right

Saying Goodbye To Elder Navarro
Elder Rodas, ZL From Chici
One Last Picture Of The Crew From Chichi
I can't believe I have been serving for 7 months. I want to wish everybody a Happy Valentine's Day! Share your love by serving others. So I had my first transfer to a different area on Tuesday. And it was rough. I'm in San Antonio Huista, the Ixtahuacan Zone, it is a town outside of Huehuetenango (Huehue), southeast of the border of Mexico. Basically 12 or so miles from the border and that means I am on the face of the sun. It is hot and more humid than Chici. Coming from Chichi where it is cool to the heat has been one hard change. I am always so tired. My comp is Elder Ipanaque (Epanak for you English people) and he is from Peru. Elder Ipanaque is 26 yrs old and is a convert to the church. He has only been a member for 3 years. He is a great missionary. We have good relationship and for that I'm beyond grateful. We live in the church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is so sweet, I love it. The church here is a lot bigger than the church in Chici. Transfer day was very interesting. So I am 6 hrs from Xela (Quetzaltenango) so that meant a very long time on the bus. It gets even better, when we got to the main part of Huehue we got stuck on the bus for 3 more hours because all the teachers were on strike and they were having a protest in the street so we couldn't move or leave the bus. It was horrible. Extremely grateful that day is over. It is so different here in San Antonio Huista then in Chici besides the heat one of biggest differences is nobody is in the streets, that is so crazy. Also another difference is we eat with a member for lunch and dinner. The food is good and I appreciate the generosity of the members. I have to tell you yesterday I had the best taco; the meat was so rich and flavorful. It was amazing. The 1st counselor's wife made them for us. She is a great cook!
Six Hours And Counting
San Antonio Huista And Empty Streets
We might have a baptism this week. The investigator's Dad gave us permission, now we need to commit her to a date. You will never believe what we get to do! I'm so excited. Ready, we teach Seminary every Friday and Sunday. It is sweet! Elder Ipanaque and I rotate classes. So yesterday was my turn to teach and I taught about 1 Nephi 10-11. It was a blast. Well to be honest at first it was rough then it smoothed out. Such a great experience for me. I think the class understood what I was trying to teach. Since it was just me teaching I had to truly trust in my Spanish praying to the Lord to loosen my tongue. I felt the spirit working through me. Also yesterday I was asked to teach the primary kids. I asked them draw what they like and then I taught them the things they like are blessings. The rest of time we talked about blessings. Then I taught the one deacon in the ward. I guess you could say I was training him in the responsibilities of a deacon. We read Doctrine and Covenants 20 which teaches about the duties of a deacon. It was a very cool experience. I learned that deacons invite people to Come Unto Christ by serving, teaching, and inviting. Deacons are on the Lord's errand by watching over the church by helping others to live the gospel. When a deacon performs his priesthood duties, he honors the Savior. You deacon's have a very special calling. Be grateful for the responsibilities you have to serve as deacon. It will truly help you prepare serve as a full time missionary. 
My New Home-The Church
Mom, Proof I'm Still Making My Bed Everyday
This week I have been reading a lot on the Teachings of Joseph Smith. There is no doubt he is the Prophet of this dispensation. I like what he said about obedience, "When the Lord Commands, Do It." That is so true. I have learned by reading that chapter I'm not very obedient. I am working on being more obedient so people can say that man is truly a man of God and is a God fearing man. We should not worry about what other people will say or think when we have to make the right decision, we only need to be concerned what God will think when we make our decision. Our eternal life is at stake when make decisions. We need to heed and apply these words from the Prophet Joseph Smith, "Live in strict obedience to the commandments of God, and walk humbly before Him." When we do that we become virtuous and pure having integrity and truly understanding between right and wrong; between the things of God and the things of man. When then truly become disciples of Christ. Never forget the path of discipleship is forever as Elder Holland taught not just when temple and mission time come, it is forever. So CHOOSE THE RIGHT. By choosing the right you choose obedience. By being obedient we are showing our Heavenly Father how much we love Him. When we are obedient God has promised great blessings. Always remember all blessings are predicated upon obedience. I love you all and may we all Choose The Right. 
San Antonio Huista
Bus Stop In San Antonio Huista
What I love about Mom is that she would pick out my clothes for me when I was little guy and what I love about Dad is that he would play football with me in the backyard.

Ducks Forever
Love, 
Elder Mcilmoil
February 10, 2014

Tortilla count for the week: 65

Scripture of the week: Doctrine and Covenants 76:40-42
Last Supper In Chichi
"My Family" In Chichi

No comments:

Post a Comment