Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Faith And The Book Of Mormon

Teaching An English Class Every Wednesday At 6:00 PM
It Was Packed-No Empty Chairs!
No turkey, potatoes or pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, just a normal day here in Guatemala; at times I forgot it was Thanksgiving. This week was a tough one to start. We have had a lot of ups and downs this week. We have a lot of dates set for baptism but Satan is working really hard on some of our investigators and its rough. We were supposed to have a baptism this week but Satan won. It is so sad and heart wrenching. These past two weeks I am truly seeing why fe (faith) is the basis for our testimony. President Gordon B. Hinckley said,"Faith represents sacrifice." Sacrifice to know Jesus Christ and to trust in him and our Heavenly Father. Faith is the converter. Faith is the teacher. Faith can change our lives. I have never prayed so hard and so much in these past two weeks. I have learned how much fe (faith) is in prayer. We must pray with exceeding fe (faith) as Jacob the brother of Nephi taught, "Look unto the Lord with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith."-Jacob 3:1. If you don't pray with faith your prayer is wasted and doesn't show your true love and trust in the Lord. Praying with faith brings spiritual power and peace.
Homemade Guatemalan Chicken Tamales
So Good!!!!
This week I read in the Book Of Mormon about the tree of life. This is what I learned: there are three kinds of people. Number 1- people who hold to the rod and partake of the fruit but they are ashamed of partaking of fruit. Number 2- there are people who hold to rod and partake of the fruit and they stand by Christ in all things and all places and are not ashamed. Number 3- people who don't want to partake of the fruit because they love the world more than the Lord. What kind of people are we? Also when I was studying Preach My Gospel about the Book Of Mormon, it gave an idea to read some specific chapters and mark every name of and about Christ. Now every time I read I mark the names of Christ and just by doing that I felt through the spirit the power of this great book and can see what he is teaching me. I know the Book Of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.
I now understand how people become inactive. They stop reading the Book Of Mormon. This book is the keystone of our religion, it brings us to closer to Christ. Joseph Smith testified, "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct book on the earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book." When people stop reading they stop nourishing their spirit and they start drifting away. For example we met with a sister and we asked if she reads the scriptures she said yes the Bible everyday. Then we asked the about the Book Of Mormon and she said very little. She said the Bible is my favorite. Because she is so focused on the Bible she has fallen away from the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We told her to read the Book Of Mormon more and more everyday. I don't get how people stop reading about the Book Of Mormon. This book brings us closer to the spirit and directs our paths. It is the greatest book on this earth. Joseph Smith found comfort in the Book Of Mormon before he died. I'm also learning the Bible doesn't have all the answers but together as I have said before both books support each other and both are necessary to teach and learn about the full and complete doctrine of Christ. I testify the Book Of Mormon is sacred and powerful and provides every answer. I always find myself praying and receiving inspiration to look in the Book Of Mormon for answers. If you want to strengthen your testimony read the Book Of Mormon. Drink from the waters of the Book Of Mormon and feast upon the words of Christ. You can truly see a difference in the investigators who read the Book Of Mormon and those who don't. The ones who read will understand almost anything we are teaching them.
Yesterday I bore my testimony. I have never shared a testimony with that much conviction  and power. I knew I have always had a testimony and known the church is true and had a firm testimony to build on. But yesterday was a testimony of a lifetime for me. Yesterday is where I received my true testimony. I can say with all my faith I truly have a foundation that can handle any storm and a foundation that is so firm I can finally build more and more on. My testimony has grown and I have the foundation of a testimony that Heavenly Father wants me to have. It was also one of the hardest testimonies to give. Before I started to speak I begin to cry. I thanked the rama (branch) for their love and I told them that this rama has the pure love of Christ and then my tongue was loosed, it was amazing. I have never said things with so much convection and power. As I looked down upon the congregation and looked at the people who have been with me since day one, I saw they had tears in their eyes. Yesterday I had a glimpse of how strong Joseph, Ammon, and Peter's testimonies were. I know salvation is not cheap and this church is the hardest most difficult church in the world but the rewards from la iglesia de jesucristo de los santos de los últimos días is the most rewarding. The greatest reward we receive is eternal life. This church is true. I have seen investigators receive that knowledge and are some what confused because of how powerful that knowledge is. Stay strong and read the Book of Mormon every single day!!! It will change your life.
What I love about Mom is she was able to get me two pics from Gramma's and what I love about Dad is he helps me with my money.

Love You So Much, Ducks Forever!!!
Elder Mcilmoil
December 2, 2013

Total tortillas for the week: 45

Scripture of the week: 1 Nefi (Nephi) 8: 24-34
Christmas Came Early This Year!
Best P-Day: Zip-line Park
So Fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment