Thursday, November 7, 2013

Kite Day, Joseph Smith Is A Prophet, And There Is Hope For Everybody



Elder Mcilmoil-Missionary/Vampire

Curb Jumping: A Tragic Bag Accident
OK where to begin for this week. Halloween was a success for me anyway, I was a missionary the whole day and on November 1st I was a vampire missionary. (Hahaha-Thanks for the teeth Mom!) At zone conference we found out that there will be no more backpacks, we will be using side bags. So the next day I went out and bought me a side bag, it lasted on 3 hours before it broke. Seriously all I did was jump off a curb and snap, it was done. No worries, it will be fine. Yesterday morning was a little chilly but by lunch it heated up and became really warm. Anyway for lunch some members served us soup and a warm drink. I was sweating like crazy because the soup was hot, the drink was hot and it was so hot outside. It was crazy but the soup was so good. It was one the member’s birthday so we had cake and it was good! The members we ate with are one big family so it’s nice to see their relationships with each other. It is so fun being with them. Not much else to say about the food this week, nothing to strange. I did have some kind of salad not sure what to call it but it was way good; I think it had some kind of tongue in it and I didn’t know it until after I finished eating.
Halloween Treat: Helado Sundae
Kite Day
This week was kite day in Guatemala. On November 1-2 Guatemalans celebrates Día de Todos Santos (All Saints Day) or Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) by flying kites.The locals believe the kites reach up to heaven to the souls of loved ones. The kites carry messages from the living to the deceased. The kites are all very different, it was way sweet. We celebrated with the branch by flying kites; I even bought one to fly. It was just so cool. Día de los Muertos is crazy. Like I said it lasts two days and each day has a different name. It hurts Chichi because of all the Mayan influence. One day everybody was in central and then the next day everybody was in the cemetery. Me and Elder Bonilla walked this one street and it was basically just us. Even thought it was cool to see, I’m glad it is over.
My Kite
This is crazy; we taught a lesson that nobody could hear a word because of the rain. It was so loud in the room all you could hear was the rain on the roof. All you could see were mouths moving. It was kind of funny. This morning on the way to Chichi the micro bus played Ghostbusters, I Love Rock And Roll and some other oldies, boy was it hard not to sing along and listen but I was able to stay focused by reading Our Search For Happiness. I have to say that is one great book.

One lesson particular lesson this week sticks out in my mind. We watched the Joseph Smith Movie and I cried and cried during the whole movie. All I can say after that leccion (lesson in Spanish) is that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. He was Called of God. When he prayed to our Father in Heaven about what church was true in 1820, God the Father and his son Jesus Christ stood before him and answered his prayer. I know he saw God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. I know that he translated The Book of Mormon. I know that he sealed his testimony with his blood. He died for truth. Praise To The Man is one of the most power hymns about the prophet Joseph Smith. We must always Praise The Man, Joseph Smith. I know this scripture is true Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. I know Joseph Smith is still a prophet of God today and that he lives in his mansion.

This week I read in Ether 12 which is about admitting our weaknesses. So I sat down and wrote down my weaknesses, I encourage all of you to do the same for the spirit is very strong when you do and you feel so much better because you admitted what you need help on and with. The Lord will help you overcome each one of those weaknesses.  After I wrote down my weaknesses I read this scripture Ether 12:37, “And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.” After I read that verse I just felt a calm feeling. This gospel is true and we can live in mansions with our Father in Heaven. I started First Peter today. His words are so direct and filled with power. I am grateful for the scriptures. We are teaching a man who has been a catholic for 49 years and there is hope for him. There is hope for everybody.
Yep, That's How We Cut Limes.
What I love about Mom is that she dressed up as a soccer player for Halloween. What I love about Dad is that he fulfills all of his callings.
 


Ducks Forever,
Love Elder Mcilmoil 
November 4, 2013

Tortillas for the week: 52

Scripture of the week: Ether 12:27 
Zone Conference

Elder Mcilmoil-Missionary/Barber

No comments:

Post a Comment