Wednesday, September 25, 2013

These Things Shall Give Thee Experience


I have been way sick this week but I have also had a very special experience. I have never felt so close to Christ all day. I felt like I was walking with him to the hill Golgotha as he carried the cross and felt as if I helped him carry the cross. I felt what it is like not be loved for my comp wasn't very patient with me but I still loved him. I also can say brother Joesph is amazing. For I have never felt so miserable in all my life. As Elder Holland said, "Before our lives are over we may all be given a little taste of what the prophets faced. We will be called upon to face trying times. When that happens we can sometimes fear that God has abandoned us, and we might be left, at least for a time, to wonder when our troubles will ever end. When lonely, cold, hard times come, we have to endure, we have to continue, we have to persist. Remember that God has not forgotten you and that the Savior has been where you have been and heaven’s kindness will never depart from you." We must remember, "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high" I also felt the pain of Grammy and have felt her close by. I know there is much to learn from my suffering and pain and I also know it will come to an end.

I am starting to understand about 60% of Spanish but it is still very hard to speak but I am speaking better each week. I think my journey to learn another language is beginning. We have a new family and they only speak K'iche'. Our first lesson with them is tomorrow and will have to bring a translator with us. I also gave out another Book of Mormon. Something I have learned is that the very best missionaries don't always have to say a lot during the lesson. Sometimes their presence in a lesson is all that matters. Those missionaries are ones that have submitted to the Father's will and truly listens for the promptings of the spirit as to when to speak and is willing to do what the Father asks without hesitation. Those are the best missionaries.

I have a funny story. So this sister hasn't been to church in a month, she has a new born baby that is about a month old. Elder Bonilla said we need to get her to come to church. I was like wait a minute, she has a baby that is a month old and hasn't been to church in a month. Then I tried to explain back home new Moms don't go to church for about month and a half and a lot of Moms don't leave the house because of the babies health. He then said they don't do that here. I said let's go visit her and share when Christ blesses all the children. So we did and the sister and her husband have been to church every single week since we visited them. 
I received your package. Boy did it make my day. Thank you so much for everything in there. I just wept when I opened it and read the letter. It was amazing. I took pictures of it!! So this morning I made apple pancakes. They were way good. I had my first street food. It was good but I kind of had to eat it because it was an inactive family and I didn't want to offend them. It was their last corn on the cob and then they gave us Arroz Con Leche (Mexican rice pudding). I'm starting to like the tortillas now. Which is good since we have them every time we eat with a family. We eat a lot of eggs and beans not much rice, when we do it is so good. And let me just say I have eaten a lot of beans this week. When we eat with the members I help them cook. I love it because I kind of get to talk with them and I get to cook and learn new things for them. They are so surprised when I help; I don't think they have many missionaries help with cooking. It is so awesome. Anyway I have a sweet wallet now. It is made out of chip bags. An elder in my district makes wallets, it is sweet! This coming Saturday I will be teaching an English class at 3 o'clock. Wish me luck. Mom with the Spanish be patient and don't worry about memorizing every verb. I am still learning and memorizing. The temple will help you and you learn everything that you need to learn. 
Chip Bag Wallet
 
I have also learned if your not obedient you will be unsuccessful, we have returned home late, more than 20 minutes late multiple times this past week and it has effected us a lot. I want to share with all of you again: Numbers Will Never Truly Show Your Success. Don't let numbers bother you. Submit to the Father's will and when you do--You Will Have Success With Families and Those You Teach. 

What I love about Mom and Dad is the package they sent!!!!!

Ducks forever!
Love,
Elder Mcilmoil
September 23, 2013

Total tortillas for the week: 35
 
Scripture of the week:  Doctrine & Covenants 122:7,9...all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good. And will give us light. The Church is true and Christ is our Savior, we need to come to him and be perfected through him. 
Ancient Ruins In Chichi
 
Chichicastenango, Guatemala

Chinese Food For Lunch In Chichi, Guatemala

My Homemade Apple Pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment