Thursday, September 19, 2013

Eathquake, Soccer And The Spirit


"Hangin' with Sully"

"Me and My Minion"

I experienced my first earthquake last week. It is the weirdest thing in the world; it is so cool but beyond weird. It was crazy, all the lights went out for an hour and it was dark! Feeling the earth shake and the building move is something else. Just so strange. So I went to the clinic on Tuesday and I may have 2 parasites. I go back to the clinic tomorrow for my results of the another test called cultivo. I have a strong feeling there is a reason I'm having to go through this trial. I don't know why, but there is a reason. As Elder Neil L. Anderson said, "During a trial, we are spiritually refined and strengthened." And Elder D. Todd Christofferson explained what he learned from a personal trial: “Though I suffered then, as I look back now, I am grateful that there was not a quick solution to my problem. The fact that I was forced to turn to God for help almost daily over an extended period of years taught me truly how to pray and get answers to prayer and taught me in a very practical way to have faith in God. I came to know my Savior and my Heavenly Father in a way and to a degree that might not have happened otherwise or that might have taken me much longer to achieve. … I learned to trust in the Lord with all my heart. I learned to walk with Him day by day.” I am trying to eat, it is just hard because it just goes right through me. Anyway here is the food update for the week. I had a tres leches cake, let me just say Costa Vida and Cafe Rio have way better tres leches. I was so disappointed. There is a Chinese Guatemalan Restaurant where we have district meetings. WOW it is dang good. On Monday we ate with the members and they made us some great soup. Then on Saturday I had a huge ice cream thing called a Bomba. It was so good.

Saturday we had an activity with members and non members, we played soccer. There is nothing like being the fastest kid out there. The funny thing is that I'm not even running. I will admit I schooled a couple of them and that was funny since they don't like it because I'm a gringo. I am able to keep my cool and not be competitive which is very nice. I'm so grateful for that blessing. When I was on divisions I mowed another lawn with a machete. It was sweet. By the way Mom, I just let you know I make my bed every morning.

We went to visit a lady that hasn't been able to walk for 7 years. We weren't expecting her husband to be home but he was there when we came. He had the smell of beer, he could understand everything were saying so I know he wasn't drunk. He expressed his feelings of pain and sorrows; when he was done I was holding back tears. I have never felt so much love and compassion for people in my life. He asked me if I suffer back in the States and I told him I did. Then I told him with tears in my eyes, "I feel your pain Hermano." I gave him a huge hug and we wept for a little bit. I gave him a Book Of Mormon. I saw a hint of hope and light in his eyes when I talked about the Book Of Mormon. I feel very strongly he will be baptized in this life and so will his wife. It is amazing what you can do thru the spirit. The spirit can guide you to do amazing things. Words can't describe what it feels like saying words that are not yours. It is amazing. Acting upon the spirit is the greatest gift in the world. We always have to stay strong and have faith. The Lord is blessing us and has people for all of us to teach. The Priesthood truly has power. It is a power from God and it is the greatest gift. It is so amazing. ALWAYS LISTEN to the SPIRIT. 

What I love about Mom is the charity she has and what I love about Dad is how he magnifies his calling.

Love,
Elder Mcilmoil
September 16, 201

Tortillas this week: 15

Scripture of the week: John 14:27

Nachos I made for dinner.

"The Bomba"

"Breakfast of Champions" (drinking OJ from a bowl)

No comments:

Post a Comment