Friday, September 12, 2014

I Love This Work

Saying Goodbye To Elder Ipa
Tortillas for the week: 35

I don’t even know where to begin; this week was amazing, especially yesterday, testimony meeting was so good; a great way to end and start the week. Elder Ipa left on Tuesday, I will admit it was a very hard goodbye, harder than I thought it would be. I am having a hard time with my new companion because I was with Elder Ipa for 7 months, which was 5 changes. My new comp and Elder Ipa are so very different, the only thing they have in common is that they are both from Peru. I know it will get better.
Elder Corbett, One Amazing Missionary
Changes: A Day Of Goodbyes And Hellos
Siempre Hermanos
A summary of my week: I had training on Wednesday with a missionary couple, Elder and Hermana Jones. They are an amazing couple and a blessing to the mission. The training was a great help. Elder Jones showed me a way I can organize the members by the area where they live in the mls program. On Thursday we had district meeting and it was sweet, our district is me and my comp and two Santa Ana Elders, yep that’s right just 4 missionaries. After the missionaries from Santa Ana got here they went to eat at a café (it is not like a café in the states) Anyway while they were there 3 girls came up to them and started to talk to them, during the conversation the Elders found out one of the girls has been to Xela and visited the temple 3 different times. Of course she couldn’t go inside since she is not a member of the church. Somehow English came up in the conversation and the two Elders said there is a gringo missionary that can teach you all English. So on Saturday I taught an English class for them, it went bad, very bad! It has been 8 months since I have taught an English class and to top it off they already knew everything I was teaching. One of the girls is almost fluent, she just has a little bit of trouble speaking but she understands everything, except when someone speaks fast. The good news is we are starting an English class here in San Antonio Huista. Every Saturday at noon we will be teaching an English class. A less active member is going to help me teach. He lived in Oregon for 11 years and he knows English. After class I asked them do you have any questions about what we do as missionaries, and one of the girls said yes what is your work or what do you do? I told her we have the same commission as the 12 of old to teach all nations the word of God and baptize them with authority in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost. We invite all people to come unto Christ. We then gave them a pamphlet and invited them to church, two of the girls were like ok, maybe basically they didn’t respond very well, but the other girl who is fluent in English responded very differently. Ok she said the same thing as the other girls but her actions were very different. I can’t describe it but the spirit touched her heart. Yes she came to church! Saturday night I sent out a mass text to the less active members and investigators and it said come tomorrow to the house of the Lord and feel the love of Jesus Christ at 9:00 in the morning with love the Elders. Five minutes after I sent the text this girl responded with these words: Thank you for the invite, I will be there tomorrow, I want to become closer to God, and learn more about Him, thank you so much. As I read that I was like what, wow who is this girl???? She is only 17, wow I have so much respect for this girl and her desire to learn about her Heavenly Father. As I think about it, I shouldn’t be surprised; there are people that are prepared to hear the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, we just can’t give up hope. She also sent a text with a question about an hour after English class asking about prophets. I about dropped the phone when she told me it was her, I was like in 14 months I have never had this happen to me! As I think about her this is what I see, I don’t see us baptizing her; I see her family in the sacred walls of the holy temple and being sealed as a family for all time and eternity. I want to meet her family; I want to teach the family, not just her, because the family is the central focus of our Heavenly Father’s great plan of happiness. Families Are Forever. Going back to testimony meeting yesterday I just have to share that the spirit was so powerful and strong, it touched every single heart. I felt I need to bear witness of Christ, and that this is the truth and that families are forever. As I stood there I could feel and witnessed everyone was feeling the spirit. I then said the feeling you all are experiencing right now is the Holy Ghost bearing witness that this is the truth. It was just amazing to have a sacrament meeting like that for that girl, as well as the less active members that usually never come, and the members. Last night we had a BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with Noe and his brother Daniel and their families. The food was so good but the conversation after was better and something completely unplanned. I know the Lord wanted this to happen. We started talking about the church and the priesthood but then the conversation turned to addiction and how to help them stop drinking. I have never had ideas come to me so clearly as when I was talking to Noe and Joel. About a month ago I saw this Mormon Message. 
This message is about a man surrounded by darkness because of years of addiction. It is the story of his battle and how fasting, prayer and a good friend brought him to the hope of God's light. Please take the time to watch this powerful message because the Savior never gives up on any us. This message touched me and ever since I watched this message I have felt I need to have Daniel and Noe fast, to ask for help, so last night as I sat there listening I felt I need to say hey lets fast. As I said that it felt different, it felt like it wasn’t from me, I knew in that moment those words were from a loving Father in Heaven. I even shared some things I never share. As I look at them, I see the chains of addiction weighing then down, and Satan just laughing at them. I told them yes we are friends but more importantly you two are my brothers, and I will do anything for you two because I don’t give up on family. I feel so bad for their wives, they are about ready to give up on them and any hope of them becoming free from alcohol. If they don’t give up alcohol they will leave but I know the Lord will help them all of them as long as they come unto Him and ask for His help. I love this work, it is worth everything, the tears, the heartache, the pain, the sadness, the joy, the happiness, the love, the blessings, it worth it, the Savior said I never said it would be easy I only said it would be worth it. 
"The District"
What I love about Mom is that she taught me not to give up, what I love about Dad is that he taught me to work even if all the odds are against you. 
Grill Master
Sabrosa!
"Family BBQ"
Con Amor, Ducks Forever 
Elder Mcilmoil 
September 8, 2014 
Fútbol!!!
Scripture of the week: John 14:18, 27 

I will come to you “If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing.” President Henry B. Eyring 

“I say to myself every morning: it will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out.” President Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment