Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Frustration, Moments That Are Worth The Struggle And Dads


Tortillas for the week: 50 and it stopped raining, ok it still rains off and on but I have dry shoes!!!! This week was good but a little rough with the language, a lot of the people tell my comp they don’t understand my Spanish or I don’t know Spanish. It’s super frustrating and very difficult to bear. It hurts inside to talk because you feel like they aren’t going to understand a word your saying. Sometimes I just don’t even want to say anything. I ask my comp what do I need to do to improve and he says everything is good except your voice and your accent. Just so frustrating because I can’t change my voice, so yeah welcome to the world of learning a new language. Yes there are times of light and it is amazing.

I can’t believe how much I learned from reading the Book of Mormon now than ever before. It’s amazing how much I’m learned. It truly is the keystone to our religion and we all come closer to Christ by reading it. My eyes have been opened and I have learned that every prophet from the Book of Mormon desires to cry repentance to every person in all four corners of the earth and also to preach the plan of redemption to everyone.

We had a good lesson this week with a family who did understand my Spanish. As we walked in I could feel the spirit preparing me so that I would be able to communicate without doubt and that my tongue would be loosed to teach. It was so cool and amazing. My comp started off by teaching about 3 Nephi 11 when the voice of God was heard several times by the people as He introduced His Son, Jesus Christ. The Savior than appears to the Nephites and ministers to them. It is my turn to teach and I say to the family Christ is here and is about to preach, so what is the first thing the Son of God is going to do? The Dad said He will preach the word of God, maybe it is about faith. The Mom said I have no idea. I ask them to turn to 3 Nephi 11:21 and explained the Savior taught the people His doctrine, which was to believe in Him, be baptized, and receive the Holy Ghost. And Jesus Christ is asking for Nephi to come to Him. In verse 21 we read, “And the Lord said unto him: I give unto you power that ye shall baptize this people when I am again ascended into heaven.” I then asked what did Jesus Christ do? And they said give Nephi power to baptize and I said yes, He gave Nephi the authority to baptize. The very first thing the Son of God does is give power and authority to baptize, this shows how important baptism is and how important it is to be performed by a person who holds proper authority. Baptism must be done in the manner set forth by the Lord. I asked are any of you baptized by someone having the power and authority from God and the Dad said yeah. I asked who baptized you? He said someone in the Catholic Church when I was a baby. I looked at the Mom she said no I haven’t been baptized. I asked the Dad do you remember your baptism and he said no. I asked did you make the choice to be baptized and he said no. It then clicked with him that he needed to choose, no one should choose for him. We then taught that children are born innocent and without sin. They don’t have any knowledge and asked how can they sin when they truly don’t know anything. They both agreed that children don’t need to be baptized. As I going to challenge them to be baptized I knew I needed to share my testimony with them and as soon as I opened my mouth things changed and shared something I hadn’t planned on. My focused changed from baptism to testifying that I knew the church is true and that the Book of Mormon is true and it is the word of God. And shared with them I knew these things are true by the power of the Holy Ghost (my Spanish was perfect, these are the moments I love and is worth the struggle). When I finished sharing my testimony I looked into the kitchen and saw two of their kids looking at me and I knew they felt the spirit. Everything was so peaceful. I asked them if they had any questions and the Mom said yes how do you know these things are true because all the other churches say the same thing. I said you truly want to know and she said yes. I said pray and she was stunned and said that’s it. I said yes and then shared this, who do you go to when you are sick, a doctor or a random stranger in the street, they both said a doctor. I said when seeking the truth shouldn’t you ask God because He knows what church is true and He is the doctor of religion and knows everything. She said yes but how did you know your answer was from God. I said by the Holy Ghost, God gave us the heavenly gift of the Holy Ghost to illuminate our minds, teach us, and testify to us of the truth which can be described as the way we feel. The Mom asked what were your feelings when you asked. I said I felt peace, I just felt peace and a weight lifted from my shoulders. And I said honestly it’s a feeling you need to experience for yourself and it is a feeling you will never want to leave.

The next day I studied how to recognize the spirit. As I was reading True To The Faith, I read a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 9:8 and the Lord, “But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.” As I read that it became another confirmation to me that when it is right I feel good. That is how I know time and time again the church is true because so many times during church I just feel good, and every time I read the Book of Mormon I just feel good. We don’t need to look for a huge burning bush answer; listen to the small sensations like for me I just feel good. It feels good when I read, hear or preach the gospel. I just feel so good.  

This week I read another amazing talk by Elder Holland, ‘The Hands of the Fathers.’ https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/the-hands-of-the-fathers?lang=eng He talks about the relationship between the Father (God) and the Son (Christ) and what fathers could do more to build a sweeter, stronger relationship with their sons and daughters here on earth. Truly a powerful talk. I also read President Monson’s talk from this past General Conference, ‘Love The Essence Of The Gospel.’ https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/love-the-essence-of-the-gospel?lang=eng As I read I learned I need to love more and be more like a very special person in my life, this person has taught me so much and still teaches me today, this person is the best teacher I have ever had in school, one of the best friends I could ask for, this person has taught me how to work, love, love God, put God first, to magnify callings, to serve others, to always remember God and how to teach. He has taught me what it is like to be a worthy priesthood holder and how to love my future wife by showing his love for my Mom. My Dad has taught me what it means to provide for our family financially and spiritually and that “we must be men that women can trust, that children can trust, and that God can trust.” (Elder Christofferson) Yes my Dad John William Mcilmoil Jr. has taught me all those things and so much more. He taught me something I treasure so dearly: We Serve Missions, we do it because we know it is right and we do it because we love the Lord, and we never give up and we love being on the Lord’s errand. I am beyond grateful to call my Dad, Dad. It is an honor to call him my Dad. I pray I can be like him. I love you Dad. Every one let’s truly cherish our Dads because they have something very special, they have the priesthood, which blesses us and guides us and protects us. Tell your Dad you love him. Spend time with your Dad. I love and truly cherish spending time with my Dad; on campouts, watching our tv shows, or just any 5 minutes I had to be with just my dad. He is my hero. Love you Dad and I have chosen two of the most powerful words in English to say to you: THANK YOU. You have taught me that fatherhood is a glimpse of the divine. Love your Dad and respect him.

What I love about my Mom is she said yes to my Dad when he asked if she would marry him. What I love about my Dad is that he is my Dad and also all of the fathers and sons we went on.

With Love, Ducks Forever, 
Elder Mcilmoil
June 16, 2014

Scripture of the week: Alma 29:9 and D&C 9:8

“I am looking tonight (Today) for missionaries who will not voluntarily bind their tongues but will, with the Spirit of the Lord and the power of their priesthood, open their mouths and speak miracles” Elder Jeffery R. Holland

“From every man (women), young and old....I ask for a stronger and more devoted voice, … a voice for good, a voice for the gospel, a voice for God.” Elder Jeffery R. Holland

“By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged, perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.” Dale Carnegie
 
Noble Fatherhood gives us a glimpse of the divine. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment